Thursday, October 15, 2009

Rachel's Rundown

Ok, I was horrified by the whole "fight to the death for entertainment value" premise of this book until I realized that, hello, humans have totally done this before. Gladiators (Russell Crowe). Granted, it wasn't as, um, organized or high tech as the HGs (great acronym, BTW), but the ability for humans to make death entertaining isn't new.
So, onto the annoyingly self depreciating Katniss. Oh honey, not since Bella have I seen such a whiny little snot who doesn't understand that it's not normal to have 2 good looking dudes be attracted to someone so unaware of said attraction AND still put up with her after she leads both dudes on. But the similarities stop there. Bella was a weakling (sorry Twilight fans) while Katniss is a really strong and genuinely on top of things person. I really liked how Katniss stepped in for her sister (If Jenn is reading I would have totally done that for you!). As for the whole "valuing life" thing I think the only people who really didn't value life were the people in the Capitol. They reminded me of the French Bourgeoisie who lived lavish lives while the poor around them suffered. I got the feeling that the districts weren't particularly fans of the HGs but that they went along with it because they were divided and powerless. Katniss found out more about the other districts while attempting to kill and not be killed by them than she ever knew before. How are they supposed to revolt if they don't even know where the other districts are?
Also, the tactics they used to keep people from complaining on camera have been used in so many POW situations. The whole "smile while I hold this gun up to your head" concept happens all the time, and I am sure it is still happening.
This book took a bunch of really crappy aspects of the way humans treat each other and made it into a depressing glimpes of a possible future. But I loved it. I think realizing that this is all possible really sucked me into this book. The ending was great, I would totally have eaten the berries.
I also read the second one and didn't like it as much. I hope the 3rd one is better. And I'm on Team Gale. I'm making a t-shirt tonight.

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely on team dough-boy. He loves her so much! He was willing to give his life for her, on multiple occassions. And he puts up with her craziness.

    Other than that, and I agree with everything else you said, Rachel. Gladiators, good call. You know, HG would make an excellent movie....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard from Emilie that they are making a movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I'm on team dough-boy too. Even though I think the author favors Gale (does it sound that way to anyone else? - just in the way she describes him)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, she favors Gale. Whatever, I'm indifferent. I just thought it would be funny to compare it to Twilight.

    ReplyDelete