Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Potato Book and Belong To Me

It's been a busy few weeks of reading for me. Since I last posted I read The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society.



Hunger Games has been reviewed and so has Catching Fire (see the posts below. I added my rundown).

The "Potato Book" as I call it was excellent. It chronicled the aftermath of WWII for the people living on an island between the UK and France through nothing but letters and telegrams. Juliet is a journalist and Dawsey, a man who lives on the island, writes her because he found her name and address in a second hand book he bought. Juliet ends up going to the island and falls in love with the people there. The most poignant character of the book, Elizabeth, never writes a word or gets a chance to tell her side of the story but she is the character I fell in love with the most.

It was a great book, one that I want to read again and again.

Belong To Me by Marisa de los Santos. It is the sequel to Love Walked In (which I read back in July). It's a little slice of life book about a woman in living in suburbia. I didn't love it, didn't hate it. But it made me feel good and ended well enough.My spoiler free summary: Cornelia has just married a handsome oncologist and they are trying to have a baby. They move into a quaint little neighborhood full of people who could be extras on Desperate Housewives. She finds a good friend in a woman named Lake and an enemy in neighbor Piper. Let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment