Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Life in France

I'm done with My Life in France. I loved this book. With a few exceptions of when she would talk about french named dishes for multiple paragraphs, i found the book very entertaining. I loved how upbeat and positive she was about life, and food. She sounds like she was a very funny character. She and her husband never sent out Christmas cards, they sent out Valentine cards instead. One year they set up the camera to take a picture of themselves in a bubble bath! How funny (and weird!) It was interesting to hear about how life was in the 1940s - 1960s AND how France was (which I imagine a lot of it is still very much the same) I was shocked to hear about all the alcohol and smoking going on in her life. But living in France I guess that is the norm. I remember a story my mom told me about asking for water (instead of wine, scandal!) at a restaurant in France. The waiter turned up his nose and said, "Water, is for the ducks!" haha! Julia has given me a renewed zest to take a little more care in the kitchen and try new recipes every once in a while. Merci, ma cherie!

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the movie about Julia? I have plans to see it with my mom and sister tomorrow night. I might try reading the book the movie is based on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie! Have you seen it? If not, you should see it! It inspired me to want to try cooking out--she made it exciting and fun!

    ReplyDelete