Thursday, October 15, 2009

HG - Kate's Thoughts

It probably goes without saying, but my thoughts here are packed with spoilers, so you have been warned...(this is my very first blogging experience EVER, so bear with me please!). I admit, when I heard that we were reading HG, I was not pleased about the selection because I don't like sci-fi-type books. And I thought the first couple of chapters were irritating and frustrating to read - I was definitly not "hooked." But I was really surprised to discover that after the first few chapters, the book sucked me in and I actually LOVED reading it. I could identify with the main character and, although I HATE sappy romances (in books, movies, whatever), I actually wanted her to end up with dough-boy. :)

I also liked the messages in the book, and the idea of how society/laws/culture can really shape the way people act. Can force them to do things they never would have done otherwise. I'm not homicidal, but forced into a similar situation, I would kill to save my own life too. The book does a fantastic job of underscoring the power dynamics of society that are all too real (rich vs poor...powerful vs powerless). And I'm so used to my own reality that I first thought "hunger games? seriously, that's not realistic" but then I think about the things our governments and others have done and are doing, and I realize the book might not be so fantastical after all.

So, now I'm left wondering, do I read book 2? I'm satisified with book 1 because they won the HG's, but what is the attraction to read book 2? To find out if she picks dough-boy or her old hunting buddy? To see if the government will punish her, her family, or district 12 for showing them up? To learn whether her father actually died or is still alive? Or maybe that her father was murdered by the government as part of some kind of conspiracy? I could go on an on with ideas for book 2, although I'm not sure I'll read it. I'm curious to hear other's reactions to book 1 though...

3 comments:

  1. Sappy Romance? Honey, you don't know what a sappy romance is if you think HG was one. haha! I could have used about 70% more romance in the book.

    So now to the real issue. What things has the government done that makes you compare it to "the capitol?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Groans)... I couldn't have handled any more romance in the book! :)

    I just mean there's plenty of occassions where our society and our gov't knowingly & willingly kill people, just like the Capitol did with the HG's. Some examples are this self-serving war we're in, war crimes that go on (rapes, murders, torture), killing people who have allegedly committed crimes (death penalty), etc. They do it all the time, it's sickening.

    But seriously, now that the HG's are over, what's the attraction to reading book 2? Is it worth it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read the second book. It's not as good as the first but doens't suck. As for the romance, I'm really glad there wasn't more. Romance is ok, but only as a side story.

    ReplyDelete