Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Lost Symbol

Tawny, I hope you are reading this: If you can, get your hands on this book and read it at night while you are still in Washington DC! It will give you a whole new outlook that I wish I'd had while I was there. And for heaven's sakes, take time to go to the top of the Washington Monument. I am KICKING myself that we didn't.


I LOVED DC and when the book described some random fact about a place I had been I would occasionally say out loud "OH, I want to go back to DC." Sometimes I would say this to whichever dog happened to be sleeping next to me (I like to prop my books up on them) and sometimes I would say it while Collin was there. I got the same "whatever" response no matter whom my audience was. Anyway, that factor of the book made it really personal for me so I enjoyed that.As for the story, what Dan Brown book would be complete without twists and turns and controversy? And Dan Brown did not disappoint. I saw some of it coming, but was really thrown off by other plot twists. Anyone who has read more than 2 of his books will think "Boy, that Dr. Langdon sure does get around. Not only the globe, but with women." His new lady love, Katherine, is by far the smartest woman who he's chased down lost symbols (ha ha) with. I liked her.The mystery is all about Masonic symbols scattered throughout DC and a madman's all too evil and all too literal translation of those symbols. They mention the "Mormon's" a few times, but always in a good light and we are in no way central to the story; just passing elements of Robert Langdon's colloquial (point out the OBVIOUS) lectures Dan Brown is famous for.It's a fun read. I don't think it will be as controversial as his other books. Then again, it doesn't make any claims that would tick off Christianity.And, just in case anybody is interested, I really want to go back to DC.

1 comment:

  1. I'm intrigued by this book, however I tried to read The Da Vinci Code and couldn't get through it... just didn't like the dan brown style I guess. Think I would like this one better? Or should I just wait for the movie?

    ReplyDelete