Monday, August 10, 2009

Just Read:

Update: I just found out today, completely by accident, that the author of these two books are married. Imagine that. Like attracts like, I suppose.Do you ever finish a book that you've been reading so fast that you feel like you read right off a cliff and are now just floating 100 feet in the air? And the momentum you have from reading this really interesting, great, touching, sweet story is the only reason you aren't plummeting to the earth? I finished The History or Love by Nicole Krauss about 10 minutes ago and that's exactly what I feel like. I loved this book. It is a story of an old Jewish man named Leo who has been in love all his life with a woman named Alma; a woman who he knew as a girl in Germany who left for America when they were teenagers and she was pregnant. The story intertwines with other stories, like the story of a girl and boy who lost their father to cancer and their mother to grief. And the story of an author who never knew his real father. I loved the way they all got a chance to narrate their portion of the story giving the book layers. Sometimes the book was blunt and to the point and other times it was almost like reading poetry. Great book. I would recommend it to anyone.

The History of Love reminded me of another really good book I read a few months ago by Jonathan Safron Foer called Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. It's the story of 3 generations of men. The Grandfather, who escaped Nazi Germany, the father, who died in the 9/11 attacks, and the grandson, who, in an effort to find the answer to a clue he thinks his father left, discovers his father as well as his grandfather. Sometimes the book is through the eyes of the grandson, sometimes through the grandfather. It was a different way to look at the tragedy of 9/11. I liked how sometimes, instead of words, the author actually put in pictures to convey the sadness of the little boy. I would recommend this book as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment